Re: electric car dieing?

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, Eric Hegstrom wrote:

> Kind of a shame that battery development is not moving that fast, but I

The periodic table of the elements pretty much dictates that it won't go
anywhere unless we discover the second layer to the periodic table.  That
would be the layer in the fourth dimension.

> have always thought the hybrid vehicle was the way to go (it allows you
> to run the small gas engine at it's most efficient).  I really wanted to
> lease one of the GM EV1 when they came out. There are a few of them here
> in Tucson, but they wanted some ludicrous amount of money to lease it
> ($750/mo or somewhere thereabouts). Hell, that's a good percentage of my

That's the whole point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
--------------------------------------

They're dieing because the cost is rediculous and the performance is
unacceptable in to any reasonable person.

> mortgage. I can buy a brand new XK8 for probably not much more.

Yup!

> I think the hybrid vehicles are going to be a practical alternative for
> the future. No charging time just fill them up with gas. Also the fuel
> cell is becoming more practical and we'll probably see electric cars
> running off of these in the near future. Batteries are just lagging
> behind the times. Unless there is some major breakthrough I think
> electric cars will all be hybrid or fuel cell powered.
>
> Peace,
> Eric

I will predict that batteries will NEVER power a successful car for sale.

Fuel cells maybe, but you probably don't want to maintain them

Steve