Ignition problem?

Recently, my otherwise rock-reliable '79 Scout with the 304 wouldn't start;
usually, I turn the key and it starts (even in the coldest weather) within a
revolution.  This time, it turned over and over and didn't even attempt to catch.

I let it sit for a day or two, then came back and it started on the first
revolution.  Took it out for a spin, and at one point on the freeway it just
quit running -- no warning, no drop on power, just stopped running.  Pulled
off to the side of the road, turn the key and it's running perfectly again! It
has now done this twice since; in all cases, all of the electrics (lights,
radio, dash lights, etc.) keep working, just the engine stops.

I had a tune-up about 6 months ago, and have replaced the coil; I'm not an
electrical kind of guy, but what should I do next?  (One Scout owner told me
to replace the electronic control module, but at $123 for the part I want to
make sure first!)

Thanks in advance!
--
-=[ grant ]=-