Re Miss

> Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 20:37:20 -0800
> From: "John Hofstetter" <hofs@domain.elided>
> Subject: Miss
>
> Russ,
> Depending on how you define "miss", I would assume the problem is
> ignition. (Plug  or plug wire)  Do you have resistance wires for radio
> static interference? These, as you probably know, are a frequent cause
> of missing.  Because I've gotten lazy, I prefer to take my vehicle to
> my son who uses his (actually mine) old Marquette oscilloscope to
> check out the condition of the whole ignition system.  Most any of
> these analyzers, even the very old ones, will short out the plugs one
> by one, to help make an easier diagnosis.  The fact that you pulled
> the manifold certainly could mean that you inadvertently damaged one
> of the wires.

<snip>

This is from the "good ole boys - never meant no harm - school of
mechanic'n with a 12"crescent wrench and ball peen hammer."

Park your vehicle in a dark spot, e.g. at night, crank it up and open
the hood and see if you see fireworks going off between your sparkplug
wires.

If you have the old style solid core wires - when they break down -
the spark don't always go to the sparkplug(s).

Then again if you have access to an diagnostic oscilloscope, that's
even better.

Ted Borck	tborck@domain.elided