sticky lifter

i wrote awhile back about my 152 (65 800) that was rebuilt and not run
by the p.o.  it has what seems to be a sticky lifter on # 3.  we got
it running(badly) today and we got no response out of #3 cylinder.  it
shows that it is getting spark but there is no reaction when you pull
the 3 wire.  is there some way to manipulate the lifter so it gets oil
and works?  or do i need to pick up a new one.  Might there be some
pushrod issues?  as my 68 does not run properly either i am somewhat
desperate.  any ideas or anyone want to tell me that i am barking up
the wrong tree. thanks.
gregg