RE: Cost of gas & mileage

Steve Stegmann wrote:
> I rigged up an intake air heater by jamming the
> tubeing against one of the header pipes, actually works.  This seems to
> make it run noticeably better during warmup.  And maybe helps gas mileage
> during cold weather.  But, maybe that is hallucination.

Well, according to my very anal book on getting good mileage...it takes a
car about 4 miles of city driving to get up to 1/2 it normal mileage after a
cold-start in 10 degree weather.  So, if normally you get 12 mpg in the
city, you would use up your first gallon after
um...er...shoot...need...an...equation...quick...estimate...4 miles.

The above *assumes* that you have a heated air intake.  If not, then the
time to get to normal operating temperature would declaine.

Ken Farmer