Re: Tom's new T-all

"J. Grammer" wrote:
> >Hmmm... I guess it's time to buy a tubing bender to fab up an interior
> >roll cage for the T'all!
>
> Won't Brodsky be jealous.... ;)

<g> Now I have good cause!

> Well, Mr. Tom.....there just happens to be a '73 T-ette sitting here at
> Bindertown that I was pondering last night. Think I'm going to sell it to
> free up some space, eventhough it's a real fantasy project for me. 4x4, 392
> auto, A/C, 164" W.B., 8' Bonus Load bed, etc......maybe we should talk....

*Maybe* we should talk?  Hmmmm... sounds pretty much like exactly what I
was hoping to find (and have the cash to acquire).. long-box crewcab..
lots wheelbase for towing.. go with a gooseneck hitch then.. short "cap"
or "shell" on the forward part of the box, and sleep on the seats.. or
go with a tamer variation, use a camper in the box and a receiver
hitch..

> That's a lot of tow. I'd prefer a 1 ton somethingorother minimum. Actually,

Or a 3/4T long-box Travelette? ;)

> I don't think you could talk me into bumper towing that much weight in
> anything smaller than a Loadstar. Wag the Dog is my least favorite game ;).

"Bumper Towing" is being use interchangeably with "receiver hitch /
equalizer", right?  versus a gooseneck setup or 5th wheel.  Just making
sure.. my Scout has the step bumper w/ ball, while this Travelall has a
receiver hitch.

> Don't know anything about doing a disk swap on an 8 lug closed knuckle
> front, just 5 lug on 5 1/2 circle. Anybody?

I think it's an open knuckle '44.. I know it is.. with the flat-top
knuckles.  The only interesting point is the 8 stud spindles I think it
will have.  Thus, to convert to discs, I could aquire late 70s Chevy
flat-top '44 knuckles, 6-stud spindles, caliper bracket, caliper, and
then take my choice of 6-lug Chevy rotors, 5 lug Ford rotors (doing this
on my racer) or 8 lug Chevy/Ford rotors.. at least, that's my theory at
the moment.

In talking with mom about super tow rigs.. we were discussing some
medium duty Loadstars she's seen in the "back-40" of some smaller
trucking companies in "nowhere, MT" when she does her inspections (US
DOT FHA).. talked of setting up the medium duty with a camper type
setup, and then using a "trailer dolly" (like when a truck tows doubles)
and a drop-deck flatbed.  The dolly then attaches to the tow rig via a
pintle hitch.  Sounds pretty serious... and spendy. ;)

In any manner.. the Travelall will be stuck with only one rig behind
it.. though I'll still daydream about a Travelette and a 25' carhauler,
to tow two of my Scouts to shows.. ;-)

Maybe I could just haul doubles.. put a receiver hitch on a car trailer
and flat tow another Scout... still sounds like a bad idea.. drat.

Thanks, Jim.  It'll be home tonight..

-Tom