Diagnosing headgasket leaks

     Whaddy'all think of removing one spark plug at a time, starting the
     motor and seeing which cyl is making the bubbles in the radiator, then
     doing a compression check on all the cylinders, as well as a leakdown
     pressure test and maybe make the determination that way?

        I really don't want to do this, but I'm afraid that I have to take
     the heads off and see what's what.  Any other ideas?  Maybe I could
     just retorque the heads and call it square?

     I can't believe that they just warp like that, and the bubbles now,
     are less than they were before.  The first boilover in Death Valley
     was: as a result of this bubbling (I believe) since the climb into
     death valley wasn't that bad.  How does this happen?

        -Joel

     ScoutII, T'all, T'all  I'm thinking fiber floors and electric fans and
     I'm on the road with the 2wd.