Re: Flat towing question

John Hofstetter wrote:

> > turns. Its as though the wheels wouldn't return. I then have to get
> > and reline the wheels to track straight. Once on the road & Highway
> > tracks fine. Have you heard of this problem before??? The front end
> > the Scout is toes right..32in tires...New St. Box... and Pump...Tom

How sharp of a turn was this individual trying to make?  I flat towed a
Scout all the way from Seattle home, 600 miles, and only had the tires
go sideways once, when I made too sharp of a turn.  The trick is to make
wide sweeping turns.

It almost seems as if the front tires on the flat-towed Scout actually
turn *opposite* of the turn - much like a motorcyclist does.  They don't
turn very far in any manner, so you need to be cautious with your
turns.  Make too sharp of a turn, and the tires actually turn the
OPPOSITE way... however, with a torquey IH motor, you can still drag
those tires even though they're sideways... makes a heckuva howling and
tire-squealing sound, and everyone WILL look at you.... and no, it won't
stop until you fix it.  I got lucky - I pulled into the next gas station
and hopped the curb.. the bounce was enough to let the wheels straighten
out.

-Tom