Re: Dana 44 R&P Sets

"Alan St. John" wrote:
> Here's a question for you Dana gurus: does anyone sell R&P kits for the
> tapered-shaft Dana 44's that Scout 800s had?  I need to change my gear

Did the Scout 800 use the 19-spline Dana 44?  Or did they go to a
30-spline at some point?

> ratio from the current 4.88 so I can drive my 800 on the highway (i.e., to
> the next IH show, *Rob* ;-).  I seem to remember something about the
> tapered shafts having an odd number of gear teeth, but I'm not sure.  Oh,

I have a set of 3.73s or 3.54s I'd gladly trade for another 4.88 R&P.  I
don't believe the Ring and Pinion sets are specific to the spline count
of the axle shafts.. but the side gears / spiders *ARE* specific.

Of course, to go to a 3.73 or 3.54 ratio, you would need to go to the
"taller" carrier.. but I believe the side gears will all swap just fine.

I'm still waiting for a set of 4.88s to show up from Anything Scout..
but a spare set for the racer would be handy (I've located another T'all
rear '44 for a swap next summer perhaps)

> and my current D44 is a PowrLok, too (that should help complicate things).
> I'd sure like to keep the PowrLok if possible.

I think you can..

Or, if you want, I have a friend with a Dana 44 Detroit - 19-spline,
that he'd like to get rid of..

> talk business!  [I already have a D44 from a Scout II -- which is useless
> due to the lug pattern :-(]

What do you mean?  Doesn't the Scout II use the same 5 on 5.5 pattern
the 800 does?

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
Still short one set of 4.88s.. hopefully they show up *SOON*.. for the
race car
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout