Re: More queries

Russel DeArman wrote:
> Once I locate those parts will I need new drive
> shafts?

I'm not positive.  Measure 'em.  With my 4" lift (so the slip joints may
be a little extended) I have a 24" front and a 40" rear driveshaft with
my T19 and Dana 20.  I know that you can take the 3spd out and put a
4spd in and not change driveshafts (BTDT), but I don't know about the
single speed to Dana 20 conversion

If you plan on abusing the truck at all, it wouldn't hurt to buy a rear
driveshaft from a truck that was equipped with a stick & Dana 20 just
for good measure.. you can always use it for a spare.

>  Next subject: My '73 Scout has a front dana 44 with
> drum brakes. How difficult/possible is it to swap to
> discs? I have seen the faq for the dana 30 swap and
> the rear dana 44 swap, but not a dana 44 front. Is it
> the same? Worth the time or should I just locate a
> front 44 with the discs already?

I haven't done the swap, but I imagine it's pretty straightforward.  Get
the caliper bracket, caliper, hubs, rotors, and optionally the lock-outs
from a disc brake Scout II Dana 44.  Swap.  Replace the drum brake
backing plate with the caliper bracket.

I don't know if the brake lines will work as-is or not.  Grab the lines
from the donor truck.

You'll also need to change the master cylinder and proportioning valve
to a later model disc/drum setup.  This also means changing the
"distribution block" brass block on the driver's side front brakes.  The
rear hardline will need adapted to fit the disc/drum proportioning
valve.

It still might be a good idea to get a complete Dana 44 with disc
brakes.. if the price is right.  I'd still swap all of the parts across
to convert YOUR '44 to discs (the two axles may have different gear
ratios).  I'd then keep the axle shafts and other goodies from the donor
'44 for trail spares.

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout