Re: First place and LEAKY HEADGASKET!

On Sun, 18 Apr 1999, Joel Brodsky wrote:

> 	Cool beans, I won first place Travelall 69-75 in Tulare.

Congratulations *again*, Joel!

> 	Guys you gotta help me tonight or tomorrow since thats the only
> time I'll have acomputer before I leave.  EMAIL ME HERE if you have any
> ideas!
>
> -Joel  Tranny eater, 1st place Tulare, 1st RMIHR, 3rd Tulare.

I dunno, Joel.. first you can't keep water OUT of your transmission, now
you can't keep water IN the motor.. what gives??!!

Have you thought to just change the head gasket out?  I recall Bill
Thebert's '71 Scout II blew a headgasket on the way to Nationals a few
years back.. somehow an IC gasket had been working just fine on a non-IC
392 for quite some time.. I think it was somewhere in Indiana that it
finally blew.

Bill changed it out "in the field" (sorta) in a borrowed garage.

How long to change the head gasket?  And how long to put 11gallons of
coolant?  And how many of *those* stops in a 400 mile drive? ;-)

OTOH, if it's something OTHER THAN a gasket... it would not be so fun to
pull the motor apart and find out you now can not drive home at all..

Good luck, Joel!

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout