Re: Plastic windshield

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Stegmann <stegmann@domain.elided>
To: Chance & Rachael Welch <welch@domain.elided>
Cc: Tom Harais <tjhemh@domain.elided>; ihc@domain.elided <ihc@domain.elided>
Date: Saturday, April 17, 1999 10:40 PM
Subject: Re: Plastic windshield

>On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, Chance & Rachael Welch wrote:
>

>> The speed glass wouldn't scratch any more than a glass windshield and
when
>> it does You just use the polish on it and it's good as new. I know, we
have
>> plastic windows on all our helo's in the Marine Corps.
>>
>Chance,
>
>All our transparencies on F-15 adn F-18 fighters are plastic too, and they
>don't get scratched.
>
>But, they don't live in the slime that a car windshield does.  When was
>the last time you followed someone on a wet road and had thick dirt slimed
>on your windshield in your helo.
>
>When they get dirty you don't just squirt a bit of water on it and start
>the wipers with the dirt still on there.
>
>There's a reason they keep the glass when they could save weight and money
>by using plastic.
>
>Steve

Well Steve,

F-16's and F-18's don't land, take off and/or hover in dirt fields, mud or
gravel and rotor wash throws all that stuff everywhere. And yes a lot of
helo's do have windshield wipers. A lot of planes do too for that matter.
Just not jet fighters since the speed would rip them off.

Chance Welch SSGT USMC
78 Scout II named " Have You Driven Over a Ford Lately?"
345, 727, D300, Corp.14 bolt rear, D60 front, Spring over, 2" springs, 4"
body, 38.5X15.50 on 16.5 Super Swamper radials.