Re: impossibly low gearing

Well, with the kind of gearing usually available on these axles, plus the
ground clearance issue being significant (obviously, the Eaton diffs are
BIGGER) 35" tires would probably be the Smallest you could use
effectly...(just guessing, there)
HOWEVER, the gearing in the two speed usually had a spread like 4.88 high,
5.86 low, stuff like that.

As for Lockers, I'm not sure of the availability.  The light line handbook
does show the detroit "no-spin" being used, but perhaps it didn't work with
the big two-speeds.  Perhaps howard Pletcher or someone could find out...

Mind you, you Could get away with two separate emergency brake controls,
one for each rear wheel...if something slips, simply pull the brake lever
(mount them between the front seats) of the wheel that is spinning....sort
of the same action seen on auto-traction control...most of the old 2wd farm
tractors have separate left and right brakes for the rears...

...not to stir the pot, or anything :-)....

: Issues - every two speed rear end I've seen has had a low 4.X or 5.X as
: the HIGH range.. with 7s or something for the lows.  I guess with 35s or
: larger tires a 5.X series "high" rear end would be OK.. but for 33s, you
: can forget highway mileage.
:
: I haven't looked to see how large the Ring gear is.. but how much ground
: clearance would I lose?
:
: Can I get LOCKERS for these axles?  What good is a 150:1 crawl ratio if
: I get two tires in the air and I'm done for the day?
:
: How much larger is the Ring & Pinion - and would the front diff starting
: hitting stuff?  If the axle tube diameter is much greater, it can cause
: problems with the oil pan as well.
:
: What's the unsprung weight??!!