Re: 4wd snow

>exactly my point.  you don't need 4wd at high speeds.  this is only the
>4th 4wd i've owned, and I've never had trouble on icy/snowy roads, and we
>get enough of those here
>
>Joe
>
>On Fri, 16 Apr 1999 11:15:07 -0600 Tom Mandera <tsm1@domain.elided> writes:
>
>>Of course, I no longer exceed 40mph or so in 4wd (on road anyhow).. if
>>get on the highway, it's 2wd for the Scout.. it's too "big" (tall) to
>>be
>>cruising at 60mph or so on roads so bad I need 4wd.. besides, in 4wd
>>it
>>is MUCH more "squirrely" thanks to the front locker.. it handles
>>better
>>in 2wd than 4wd on bad roads *at speed*
>>
>>-Tom

I guess I will just have to flat disagree with you guys--best snow car I
ever had or drove was a '66 800 with a 196 & four speed. PowrLoks, front
and rear.  (27f/44r) It had 10x15 Armstrong, cross bias, MET tires on it,
with studs. You could drive it as fast as it would go on ANYTHING, and it
was dead stable. Two PowrLoks (set up with tight pre-load) and 4x4 with a
torquey engine is so far superior to anti lock braking that it's comical!!

It's scary to contemplate what that Scout would have done with the Nokia
tires on it!!!

Regards, Greg