Chad & Others: Regarding 196 Variants

Chad,
Regarding the 196 engine, two variants exist: Non-Improved Cooling
and Improved Cooling.  I believe the switch to Improved Cooling
occurred after 1976 as my 196 has improved cooling.  As to the merits
of improved cooling, I cannot comment ...but I have read on this list
of differences in the head to block cooling passages and such.

Someone more familiar with this (Help HowardP!) please chime in.
Best Luck!   Mark