Re: ihc-digest V6 #735

what about epp's "caster correctors"?  should I have those onhand?

Joe

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999 11:54:12 -0700 Curt Cleavinger
<rcleavin@domain.elided> writes:
>>Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 10:01:37 -0600
>>From: Tom Mandera <tsm1@domain.elided>
>>Subject: Re: Spring over questions.
>>
>>josad@domain.elided wrote:
>>> ok, this just popped into my mind.  any reason why I can't take the
>new
>>> housing, and gears down to the local tranny shop and have them put
>it
>>> together before I start this project?  It's gonna be a 2wd anyhow
>for a
>>
>>You're going to new gears?  Sure.  You could get the housing from
>Maulis
>>(Curt thinks it'll be close 'nuff.. and it probably would be.  If it
>>*is* off to far it's just some additional work to play with shims)
>Well, actually no - you can't just do it with shims - any angle that
>you
>add to the pinion angle using shims is subtracted from your caster.
>If you feel that you need to be able to have the front driveshaft turn
>
>at high speed without vibration, then you either need to leave the
>pinion horizontal (and stay with u-joints), or wait to rotate the
>knuckles until you know what the angle should be(total knuckle
>rotation
>will be desired added caster plus desired pinion angle). If you can
>live
>with not being able to run at high speed in 4wd or with the hubs
>locked,
>then get the pre-twisted axle housing and go for it.
>
>Later,
>  Curt
>   rcleavin@domain.elided  San Diego, CA
>   Binder Bunch: http://www.off-road.com/~jweed/binder.htm
>   Scouts West: http://www.scoutswest.com
>    .===============.   __/  \        __
>    ||             ||  / / ^  \  /\__/  \      __
> []_||_____________||_[]    ^  \/   / ^  \__  /^ \
>  \/-----------------\/  ^ /    \ V    \ /  \/  ^ \
>  ||( )| | | | | |( )|| /    /^\ \ \   /  ^ /   __________
>  | ----------------- |     / ^ \  ^\  /   ____/__|__|____\
> [/>/]             [\<\] '75 Scout II     '75 Travelall 150

Joe Dufresne email (normal) Josad@domain.elided email (with attachments)
josad76@domain.elided, ICQ #25751950, homepage
http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Trails/6536/index.html, Scout Page
http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Trails/6536/scoutf.html PGP public key
avadiable upon request

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]