Scout 80 Trans Update

Hi Digesters,

It's been a while since I've posted and I haven't even been keeping current
with the Digest but here's the latest info on our Scout 80/T90/Hydraulic
clutch saga.
Back in January, we decided to rebuild the T90 3 speed and ended up replacing
the synchos and the 2nd gear. After reassembly, we couldn't get the clutch to
work. It turns out the clutch master cylinder wasn't providing full travel in
order to press the clutch fingers to disengage the clutch.
The master cylinder in our Scout is not an IH. Several digesters and a local
parts guy suggested it might be from a 70's MG or Toyota/Datsun. After
unsuccessfully trying to match a rebuild kit to the cylinder, we gave up and
took the truck back to Joel's uncle Lon. He ended up getting a complete
rebuilt master cylinder for a Datsun B210 that is identical to the one in the
Scout. So that solved that mystery.
Now, with plenty of clutch action, the next problem surfaced. When you put it
in reverse everything is fine until you push the clutch in again. Then the
rear end locks up. Not sure if it's the transmission or the rear end yet. I
suspect the tranny since I did the rebuild and it won't go into 3rd gear
either.
Now it looks like we'll probably have to pull the transmission again and try
to figure out what I did wrong. Either that or just swap it out with a known
good T90.
Ah, the joys of IH ownership! Stay tuned for more adventures.

Roy and Andrew Ireland
'65 Scout 80
Tucson, AZ
rlireland@domain.elided