Re: Priming the oil pump

In a message dated 4/12/99 12:09:54 PM Central Daylight Time,
Steve.Stegmann@domain.elided writes:

> Didn't I hear someone say to fill the pump with vaseline during assembly to
>  assist with priming the pump.

     I don't like to use stuff like vaseline because I'm not sure it will
completely mix with the engine oil.   If the oil pump is completely full of
vaseline a slug of the stuff will be in the system when you first start it
up.  This could plug the oil filter, or restrict an oil passage.

   For initial oil pump lubrication I usually just use engine oil.  If I was
building an engine that was going to be stored for a long period of time, I
would use a soft grease, like Lubriplate 105 engine assembly grease.  the
assembly grease will dissolve in engine oil so it will not plug anything.

>  BTW I was looking at my rockers the other day through the oil fill hole and
>  there appears to be oil to the rocker, but there isn't oil everywhere like
>  in most engines I've opened.  There seems to be oil where the rocker pivots
>  on the shaft but it is really clean everywhere else.  Is this normal.

  The rocker arms in IH SV gas engines are lubricated by oil fed thru
passeges in the rocker shaft.  Many other engines including IH MV 404 & 446,
and 6.9L & 7.3L Diesel engines have hollow push rods that feed oil to the
upper valve train from the hydraulic lifters.  each time the valve is opened
a small amount of oil is pushed thru the push rod, and onto the rocker arms,
shafts, valves, etc.  At high engine speeds this oil is splashed around quite
a bit compared to the SV engines which only have oil around the wearing areas.

>  My engine runs fine.  When I listen with a stethoscope it makes no more
>  noise than any other engine I've ever listened to.  I have no reason to
>  suspect a problem it just doesn't look as oily as I'm used to.  Fords and
>  Toyotas seem to have oil everywhere in there.  This really seems to have it
>  only where needed???
>
>  Any comments?
>
>  Thanks for helping Mike
>
>  Steve

  Hopefully everything is going ok for Mike, maybe he just didn't wait long
enough for the oil to reach the rocker arms.

Eldon
BINDER COLLECTION PAGE
http://members.aol.com/Amziami/binders/fleet.html