Re: Auto to 4-speed conversion

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Scott Machalk wrote:

> 1. I have a parts Scout that is a 3-speed/345. Thus, I believe I have the
> necessary pedals etc. What else can I use from this vehicle.

What year?  The bellhousing on later 3spds is identical to the 4spds.

Of course, if your T19 has a bellhousing, no big deal.  You'll just grab
the "horizontal pivot shaft" and the bellhousing "ear" ball/socket and of
course the throw-out n' such.

> 2. What are the different types of bellhousings? I am going T-19 to 345

I'm sure there are.. but for 75-80, FAIK, the 3spd and 4spd bellhousings
behind a gas motor are all the same.

I have had a 72 304A --> '79 T15 3spd.  I also had a 76 196-->77 T15.  It
then went 196-->'76 T19 and then '72 304-'76T19.  Each one bolted right
up.

> 3. Are there different flywheel/clutch assemblies?

Yes.  10", 11", and 12" clutches.. (13" in the big trucks?).  Most
flywheels seem drilled for 10 and 11" clutches.  There are two styles of
pressure plates - Rockford and Dana.  Also note that the 196 flywheel is
different from the V8 flywheels (which are interchangeable)

I think you'll need to ditch the flex-plate adapter thing when you pull
the auto out.

> 4. Am I going to have to change driveshafts?

Maybe.  You *should*.  The 727 has a 1" shorter rear 'shaft and 1" longer
front driveshaft.  Is 1" a big enough difference to worry about?  If you
have a stock suspension.. maybe not.  Lifted?  I'd be concerned!

> 5. Any rework required in the floor pan?

Not that I'm aware of.. a new "trans cover" of course!

> What else am I forgetting?

Break that "ball stud"'s plastic covering off on the driver's side of the
frame. ;)

-Tom