Texas Legislation

From SEMA

Texas Scrappage Bill Would Overturn Repeal Striking a blow against
hobbyists, the Texas legislature recently introduced legislation (H.B.
1550) that would implement a vehicle scrappage program and, incredibly,
extend the state's emissions inspection to include vehicles 35 model
years old, forcing mid-60's vehicles to undergo emissions tests. Texas
regulators, under pressure from the U.S. EPA, removed a similar
scrappage program from its state emissions implementation plan last
year.
               Texas state SAN clubs, the Texas
Vehicle Club Council (TVCC) and SEMA all strenuously oppose H.B. 1550.
SAN Clubs and the TVCC are currently engaged in an active letter-writing
campaign to legislators. TVCC Chairman Troy Mennis stated, "It is
vitally important for car enthusiasts to contact their legislators in
opposition to this bill. We'll need to be active in our letter-writing
and in attending hearings, if we expect to be successful."
               In addition, SEMA has begun
briefing key legislators on the shortcomings of scrappage programs and
amending the current emissions inspection exemption to test vehicles 35
model years old. SEMA Director of State Relations Steve McDonald notes,
"First and foremost, we know that scrappage programs simply don't work.
We also believe that amending the emissions test requirement to include
1960s-era vehicles is ludicrously excessive in light of the low number
of these vehicles and the few miles they are generally driven. Texas is
bucking a trend among states to exempt older vehicles from I/M
programs."

_____Dan Nees_____
cookiedan@domain.elided

1 Scout II 1979 named Good
1 Scout II 1971 named Bad
1 Scout II 1979 named Ugly
I'm looking for an Automatic Tranny that will not take on water!

http://www.triplediamond.org