Re: new scout 800 owner

David Nedved wrote:

> >Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 20:26:55 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
> >From: wisser@domain.elided (Bill Wisser)
> >Subject: new scout 800 owner
> >
> >one has a gaping hole.  Now, there is a loud popping on deceleration in
> >gear.  Supposedly the carb has been recently rebuilt, though I have yet
> >to go through and do a thorough tune-up.  My question is, is the
> >popping
> >caused by the compromised glasspacks, or is this backfiring due to
> >misadjusted timing (or whatever) which may have caused the muffler to
> >have a hole in the first place?  I ask because I am planning to get the
> >mufflers changed out soon, and do not want to risk blowing another
> >muffler before I get the chance to do a good tune-up.

On the other hand, my '71 800, which I bought after it hadn't run in about a
year, was running terribly, backfiring constantly, and blowing the hell out
of my mufflers.  I put new mufflers on it, hoping that I could hear better
what was wrong with it to fix it.  I blew out one of the new mufflers on the
mile drive home!  Then I re-timed it and changed out the carb, and haven't
had a backfire since.  The thing is running great, and-with the exception of
the bad muffler-it sounds pretty good.  I say, go ahead and try all of this
little stuff first, then change the mufflers, otherwise you may blow the new
ones out before you get it ironde out!

Michael