RE: new scout 800 owner

>Bill,
>
>I've got a '70 800A as well.  I live in nearby Apex.  We just moved here, so
>it may be awhile before I can work on mine, but it sounds like we've got
>almost identical rust problems.  I95% sure tht the rust I've got below the
>doors towards the back wheel wells (on both sides) are coming from leaking
>gas tanks.

The cause of the rust is mud that gets trapped between the tanks and the
outer sheet metal and holds moisture in there.--the gas leaks are a result
of the same process that causes the rust on the body metal. Just the tanks
go more slowly than the body, because they are plated.

Got the Tee shirt.

Regards, Greg