Re: one more suspension forward to digest please last time i swearthanx

Jeremy Jones wrote:

> ok I have made the following decision based on cost and my own knowledge and my
> lack of a welder.
>
> 3 inch performance accessories body lift $95.00
> 4 inch lift kit includes shocks, poly bushings, springs, and u-bolts made by triangle
> $560 for the kit
> rough/tuff country steering stablizers $39.00

Do you really think you need this?  I don't have a stabilizer..

> my questions?
> 1. with the 4 inch lift am I going to need a new front driveshaft?

"No" you *shouldn't* need a new front driveshaft.  YMMV, but most folks
don't opt for a new driveshaft for a 4" lift.

> 2. should i knock the 3 inch down to 2 for saftey/performance issues?

Sounds like a plan.  I don't think the 3" is entirely necessary,
either.  I assume your body mounts are in good shape...

> 3. should all this be able to be installed by your avergae joe without a welder?

Yep!  Make sure you have a propane torch and a hacksaw.. it might take a
while to get the frame side of the shackle bushings out.  Air chisels
help.  I'm sure oxy-acetelyne makes short work of it.

Impact wrench (electric if you lack a compressor) would make things
oh-so-much easier, too.

The spring lift job isn't too bad.. just turning wrenches.  The bolts
will most likely be rusted to the 25yr old bushings.. have a breaker bar
handy to break the bolts off.. and/or cutting wheels would be a good
idea.  Maybe you'll get lucky..

Body mounts - they might be even more fun depending on rust.

I'd suggest doing the spring lift one weekend and the body lift
another.  Each are doable one weekend at a time..

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout