Re: suspension question

Jeremy Jones wrote:

> what ever suspension I throw at it so what is the best overall for durability and
> effectiveness?

"Best" is always subjective! ;-)  You say you want 33s.. what type of
wheelin'?  Rock crawling?  Snow busting?  Mud?  Or your typical forrest
service road navigable by a stock Exploder?

> 1. 4inch lift kit front, springover back

Easiest/cheapest setup.  Almost no thought or engineering involved.
Bolt the front in, weld the rear perches to the top of the housing and
add shock mounts.

> 2. springover front, and back

"best" setup for a flex rock rig.. or if you want lots of clearance for
mud or snow.  Most complex setup since it requires some engineering on
the front axle - perch on the top of the housing, turn the knuckles,
custom drag link, CV style driveshaft (are you using an automatic?
Can't use a CV w/ an auto)

> 3. 1inchbody lift, and rearched springs

Bzzzttt.  Yeah, it's cheap n' easy... but if you want something capable
of "working" (articulating and providing clearance), it'll come up
short.

> 4. triangle springs front and back with extended shackles

IMO, comparable to the 4" front/SO rear.. but more expensive.  Easier
though - no welding on the rear housing for the spring over.  Of course,
most stuff hanging below the axle to bang up on stuff (Been there, still
doing it)

> I dont need to much height just enough to fit 33's under her and not rub. I am looking for
> just a good overall setup with multiple terrains in mind. easiest would be the 1inch

Can you modify the body tub?  You could accomodate 33s without ANY
lift.. by just modifying the wheel wells on the body tub.  You could
then choose a suspension lift based on how much articulation and
approach/departure and break-over angles you desire.  Rework the rear
wheel wells to enlarge them, and then cut the front fender lip to
enlarge it.  Bingo.  33s.  With less rubbing than I have with my 4"
suspension lift.

> body and then have the springs re-arched for height but i heard thats not to good?

Re-arches are said to not last long.. your money is better spent on a
"real" suspension lift with new springs.

There's my $0.02.

You might also consider a reverse shackle while you're at it.
Particularly if you go front spring over.  You'll need a new driveshaft
anyhow, so you might as well incorporate a reversed shackle for a better
ride.  OTOH, with a 4" spring-under front, you can retain the stock
driveshaft and you don't need to turn the knuckles.. but if you go SO,
at least look into an RS if it interests you... "Do it right and you do
it once".. I didn't the first time.. $1,000 into a 4" spring-under
lift.. now I'm scheming to toss aside that $1,000 and blow another $1k
to do it the way I wanted to the first time (I just couldn't afford the
down time then)

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout