Re: Poly Spring Bushings

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Chad Sibert wrote:

> fit into the shackle end of the spring just fine, but the shackle bolts
> are too large to use with the metal sleeve.  However, without the
> sleeve, the bushings are a little large.  Is this a problem?  Do I have
> the wrong kit?

Hmmm.  I don't know about the 800, but my SII used 7/16" bolts through
the bushings.  I'm puzzled that your stock bolts won't go through the
bushing.  Hmmm..

> Also, while the bushings fit into the other end (rear) of the spring,
> and the sleeve fits that  bolt, I can't get the assembly back into the
> brackets on the frame.  The original bushing did not extend past the
> edge of the spring, as the poly ones (with shoulders) do.  Do I remove
> the shoulders, or do I have the wrong part?

This one is easy!

Grease up the bushing with some silicone "grease" lubricant (you did buy
some silicone lubricant, didn't you?  slather all of those parts with
it!).  Then carefully wedge the shoulders into the fixed spring mount
just a little ways.. just get it started, but before the actual spring
eye starts making it hard to get the spring in...

OK, now that the careful part is done...

Grab your favorite medium/small sledge hammer and wail on it.

Another trick would be to wail on the mount before you put the spring
in.. just flare the mount outwards a little bit into a *SLIGHT* "V"
shape.. then beat the spring and bushing up and into the mount.  Works
every time. ;-)

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout