Help, there's a Chevy under my Scout!

<grin>

After making repairs from yesterday's too-much-fun in the snow (blew a
radiator, almost lost an alternator bearing, blew a power steering hose)
(which took way too long..), I actually did some new and cool stuff...

Like bolting a 70s Chevy 1/2T Dana 44 front axle under the front of my
racer.. with springs from the parts '72 SII - non-HD springs.

So far so cool.  Bolted right up.. though I can't say it's lined up
"perfectly".. I didn't tighten down the shackles or anything (springs
need reconditioned and the center pin flipped).. but I bolted it up as-is
and stepped back to look.  It was too dark for pictures, so I'll get some
in the morning and drop off the film (along with 2 rolls of wheelin'..
with me way-off-camber and then the big hole I dug and how I
full-throttled out of it.. stuff like that).

No wiggling or fighting with the front springs.  They just dropped nicely
into the holes on the Chevy perches.  At first glance, it sure looks like
a nice and easy swap and things are lined up.

The rotors are roughly flush with the body tub.  I haven't placed the
one-piece front clip on it yet.

I still need to tear the axle down and see that it's the .5" wall and not
the .25" wall (if it's 1/4", I take it back for a different housing).
I've found the F150 hubs n' rotors for $120 locally thus far (for a $150
axle..)  Still need to order the second set of 4.88s.

I haven't put tires on it since I don't have lug nuts for the 6bolt Chevy
(Mom might not miss her spare tire that I was going to use, but she might
get upset if I swiped lug nuts)

Cross-over steering needs to be built of course.  I might try calling
TriCounty gear or such and see if they have something on the shelf
that'll do what I need.  If not, it's off to the machinist to have a
custom steering arm made for the top of the passenger side knuckle.. then
order a custom length drag link.

I think the stock Chevy shock mounts will even work - though I need to
check shock travel n' such and I may opt for a different mounting
arrangement (and MORE shocks, of course)

The 4.88 gears are in the rear end and it's ready to go.. just gotta pick
it up after work tomorrow.  Mike confirmed that the axle shafts have the
"big nut" for adjusting end-play which means I really *do* have the
tapered axle shafts and I really am up a creek when it comes to
lockers..  Phoey.

Hmmm... if I can, maybe I'll fetch the rear end tomorrow evening and bolt
*IT* up and then slap the two extra Chevy tires I have onto the front
end, and... *gasp*.. my racer might sit on 4 tires for the first time!
This could get dangerous..

Didn't get the frame swap done or even started.. though we finished
stripping the donor '72 frame, and then flipped it upside down on some
jack stands.  Previous owner had a funky hitch on the rear end and tore
up the rear crossmember on the underside.  We flipped the frame over to
make it easier for me to weld the crossmember back up tomorrow.

<VBG>  This is getting fun.. we're making progress on all fronts!

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
Mad wrench turning fool.
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout