Re: crank seal leak

In Linda Tripp's secret telephone recording, Monica and AL24@domain.elided were
heard saying...

>I have a 79 SII witha a 304. The front seal is leaking lots of oil. The mech
>at the shop I use said it's not that difficult of a job to replace it if the
>balancer will come off easily. So I turn to the experts. Is it doable in a
>weekend? Any tip or tricks I need to know?

Al,

The harmonic balancer will come off easily with any cheapo $8.99 harmonic
balancer puller from your favorite auto parts store.  Once off, the seal can
be carefully pried out from the recess in the timing gear cover.  You can use
a screwdriver to pry it out, but be sure to protect the soft alloy timing gear
cover with something hard and flat to prevent it from being damaged by the
screwdriver blade.  You'll see what I mean when you get there.  Sometimes
seals like this are best pulled out with a slide hammer, but I don't think
you'll be able to get one in there between the radiator and the engine unless
you have some serious body lift.

As far as time goes... if you're prepared in advance with the proper tools and
nothing goes wrong (doesn't it always), then this is an easy one day job.

Regards,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot" model
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |