Tailgaters, mirrors, <<NEWBIE ALERT>>

Hello Digesters!  That mirror story is a PERFECT karma story.  Maybe she
will stop acting like a jerk in the fast lane!
I have been lurking on the digest for about a month.
Anyway, my name is Heather and my husband is Bryan (I am the avid digest
reader, but he mostly drives the '72 Scout II we just got.)  It has all
the regular problems (I now know) and I am grateful that you guys are
all so helpful to each other.  My gas guage reads just over 1/2 full
when I fill up (with gas that costs 1.16 =^O !!!), my alt. guage jumps
over 1700 rpm and I am going to take the advice on both of these quirks
that I've read in the last month.  It has another, maybe lame problem.

The rearview mirror will not stick to the windshield (or so I've been
told by prev. owner).  I would like a suggestion of a fix.  We live in
an apt. in the South Bay-Silicon Valley area (Silly Valley!) so we don't
have a garage or many tools and *boy* will that suck when we come upon
problems with our new baby.  Anyway, I need to put a mirror on before
one of us gets pulled over by the moody cops that reside in *some* of
the surrounding areas.  We haven't been pulled over since we grew up and
started doing speed limit, etc. as well.  But, I think that our new,
loud truck will get a little more attention, esp. when we take the top
off (any day now? what rain? OK, weeks).  Bryan definitely does not want
a "wink" mirror because they are tacky - I myself like them because as a
passenger used to being the driver, I can see what's going on back
there.  It's all a matter of opinion.  Thanks in advance for your
insights.

I have lots more stuff that I will request help for later!
-Heather

btw, my first car was a 71 Mustang (not a Mach 1, a coupe) & I HAD to
learn how to work on cars.  Lately I was feeling nostalgic & when I saw
this Scout, I got the same old feelin' & we had already agreed to get a
truck.... =)  Perfect for me!

***Seen on a Chevy gigantically tall truck "If you can read this, smile
as you go under!" (with happy face painted on diff.)***

> Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 09:43:23 -0500
> From: Bill Dugan <bdugan@domain.elided>
> Subject: Tailgaters
SNIP