Re: overdrive

The aliens commander decided "McDowell's" <gmcd@domain.elided> would make a
perfect specimen for dissection, and he yelled...

>    I have searched the web far and wide, and see no way to overdrive a
>dana 20.
>would it be worth it to drop the 20 for an 18 with an overdrive on it?
>Are they interchangable?
>does a dana 18 suck real bad? I have a feeling that a scout with a tall
>overdrive would get awesome
>gas milage. Mabey 16 or 18 mpg on the highway. Arent there thousands of
>people with dana 20's
>that need overdrives now that the spped limits are 70mph now? sombody
>needs to start
>making one. I think there would be a big market for it.

I thought that Steve Caldwell was telling me a couple of weekends ago that
there *is* an overdrive unit available for the Scout, but it requires
modification to the frame cross member and is very expensive ($3000.00+).

Steve???

What we need is to find a reasonably priced overdrive unit (under $1000.00)
that would possibly be installed separately from the transfer case.  The
one thing in common with all Scouts is the rear axle.  Wouldn't it be neat
to have a planetary gear overdrive that would fit right on the front of the
rear axle pumpkin... either with a direct mechanical or electro-mechanical
means of engagement... just like the popular two-speed rear axles on bigger
trucks.

It would need to be a balance between size and strength, but I think some
sort of hook-up wouldn't be too difficult.  Time to start sketching on a
napkin!

Just dreaming.

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |
Conservative Libertarian        |  "The road to  tyranny, we must never
Life Member of the NRA          |   forget, begins with the destruction
WA Arms Collectors              |   of the truth."
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   |                     William J. Clinton
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |    10-15-95, speech at the Univ. of CT