Re: crew cab/wagon master

Jon Wangelin wrote:

> Hi,
> What is the difference(s) between an IHC crew cab and a wagon master?
> It seems as though most of the WM's were 2wd. Is this true?  They were
> good looking rigs.
>
> Thanks
> Jon

  The Wagonmaster was a Travelall with the back closed off behind the back
seat.  It has a very short bed-the same as the cargo space behind the back
seat in the T'all.  Thus, it has one "body" instead of a cab with a
separate bed.  Supposedly these were meant to be better equipped for fifth
wheel towing, but turned out to be a little bit ill-conceived.  Basically,
they are a slightly more "streamlined" crewcab with a very small bed.
They made them in all configurations: 2WD w/ IFS, 2WD with solid front
axle, and 4WD.  I do not know the numbers of each, nor does anyone else
seem to.  A few of us have been chatting back and forth, and have found
numbers in the 10-20 range that we know of right now.  There are surely
countless others out there, but as far as the digest members seem to have
traced down, that is about it right now.  They use the same body panels as
T'alls, except, of course, they have a rear panel behind the rear seat.  I
do not know if this is the same as PU rear wall or not.
Howard has guessed that there were probably under 1,000 made, though he
admits he is just guessing.  I just got several new IH books tonight, and
in Tom Brownell's "International Pickup and Scout Buyer's Guide" he never
even mentions the Wagonmaster.  It is shown in a company promo photo on
the back cover, and in the same photo on page 92.  However, he merely
mentions them as "Travelettes," not mentioning them anywhere as their own
model.

Michael