GOOD work

   Thursday I started working on Good's engine leak and hopefully engine
clatter. I first put stuff called 'Engine Wash' in the motor and ran it
for a while. This stuff is identical to home heating oil and smelled
just like it. After i drained the oil I pulled the valve covers and pan.
   When I pulled the plug wires off to get them out of the way 5 out of
8 of them fell apart. I had to unbolt the power steering pump bracket
and the AC bracket to get the covers off. Also, I had a heater hose
split in half upon removal.
    The valve covers had a bit of gunk stuck to the inside, but the
valve springs and rockers looked pretty clean.
   The pan was spotless on the inside. Almost no sludge in the bottom.
This leads me to believe that the rattle is the result of a damaged
componant and not a oil problem.
   I ran kerosene through the oil galleries and it seems to come through
without problem. I also blew compressed air through.
   I drilled the front hump of the pan out for a add-a-drain kit from
NAPA. (number on my web site)
   I reinstalled the vavle covers and oil pan with nothing but The Right
Stuff.
   I stole my Jacobs wires from Ugly to put on Good for now. As I hooked
the wires up according to where the number 1 cylinder 'should' be, she
wouldn't start. I had to fiddle with the wires one direction or the
other to get it to run. The distributer is installed about one cylinder
out of normal, but not where it will cause an problems, just to the next
guy who doesn't watch where the wires go and 'assumes' where the go.

_____Dan Nees_____
cookiedan@domain.elided
http://www.triplediamond.org