Re: Thanks-Exhaust Info!

In Linda Tripp's secret telephone recording, Monica and MikeIIDC@domain.elided
were heard saying...

>I did not ask what type of mufflers, but am supposed to
>call back and ask in the morning.  Any suggestions?  These guys used to
>have big "Flowmaster" signs up, but I didn't see any this time, so maybe
>they don't carry them any more.

Mike,

Flowmasters come highly recommended, but I seriously doubt a price of $300.00
will include those!  That's a descent price by the way if that includes
everything including the head pipes... not the cheapest mind you, but not the
worst I've been quoted.

As far as muffler recommendations, I'd ask them for turbo style mufflers that
feature low restriction and have the internal baffles the same diameter as the
inlet and outlet (2.5" system is what I hope is what you're getting).  At the
suggestion of the Fleckster, when I installed my own exhaust system, I went to
a local chain auto parts store and purchased the best lifetime warrantee
generic turbo mufflers they had.  I think they ran under $25.00 each, are
guaranteed for life... the name Cherry Bomb Turbo comes to mind, although I
don't remember the manufacturer's name... not anyone I'd ever heard of before.
The are aluminized inside and out to resist rust and corrosion.  They sound
very nice... a deep throaty growl at idle, mild deep sound at freeway speeds
and like a M60 machine gun during hard acceleration with the four-barrel wide
open and the engine speed above 2500 rpm.  Never annoying.  I'm very pleased
with how it turned out.

So the moral of the story is that you don't need some fancy expensive muffler
to have a nice exhaust system.  Just make sure they don't put on some cheapie
restrictive grave yard mufflers that will rust out in a couple of years.

Good luck,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot" model
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |     1977 Scout II Traveler (Parts)