Re: Trac-lok

Daniel Nees wrote:
>    The Trak-Lok's main rap was that they were weak. I had a fellow tell
> me he broke 3 of them in half! They can be rebuilt with new clutchs and
> when rebuilt can be rebuilt so they are tighter, but they will never
> equal a True-Trac or any other limited-slip. I like the one in Ugly, it
> seems to still work, the one in Good needs to be rebuilt.

TrueTrac isn't an ordinary Limited Slip.. it's a gear driven unit that's
a little "peculiar".. if it wasn't for the 32" max tire restriction on
the warranty, I'd be tempted to try a TT.

Back to Trackloks..

Best that I can tell, the Trac-lok probably has a bad reputation because
- it was installed in SOOO many factory vehicles.  As such, there are a
LOT of worn out Tracloks out there!  That's part of it... "I bought this
Jeep.. with a Trac-lok LS in the rear.. but it don't work worth a dang"
(yeah, 100k miles later... whaddya expect?)

Of course, *new*, they didn't limit slip all that well anyhow.. was it
180ft-lbs I heard?  The PowrLok is more like 280ft-lbs and maybe higher
in the triple belleville arrangement.

I contend that a Tracklok *will* "lock up" to some degree.. no, not like
a true locker, but I've had both tires turning.. and I know I've left
two solid black streaks now and then... and my Scout'll walk sideways if
I get on the throttle hard and the rear end slips.

At the same time, on the last trail ride, I was sitting in snow.. and
had to modulate the brakes to get the Tracklok to "bind up" and get both
rear tires spinning.

For a "mild" rig, I think the Tracklok is much better than an open
diff.  It saved my butt once back when my Scout was still stock.. I was
crossed up straddling a wash-out.. on a nice steep hill.. teetering with
the passenger front tire on the trail, the driver's rear tire across the
washout on the other side, and the RF and LR tires dangling in mid
air... I drove out of that when the Tracklok "bound up"

Of course, now that I have a locker in the front... the Tracklok doesn't
seem so cool any more... and it seems like a much better idea to pull
the Tracklok and drop in a Lockright... :-)

Here's downside on the Tracklok - you can't drop a Lockright in!  You
have to pull the entire carrier assembly out and re-setup the gears to
put any kind of true locker in.

As for the strength issue.. I think it's just as strong as an open
carrier.  Certainly not as beefy as a Detroit..  perhaps part of the
"weakness" is the same weakness *ALL* limited slips share in an off-road
rig.. unlike a locker, which is "Locked unless one tire overruns" (or
the ARB switch is off), a limited slip is more passive.. the Tracklok is
OPEN until *enough slip* has occurred... *then* it starts transferring
torque to the other axle shaft.. this can lead to "torque slamming"
which, as we all know, is when stuff goes "bang" and breaks.

Anyone have an open differential, 4.10 geared Dana 60 housing to get rid
of?... <VBG>

-Tom