Re: Key Tumbler removal

Tom,

<< I didn't look if this was detailed in the IH Shop manual yet.. I'll look
this evening or so.  I'd also like to fix the '77 tumbler from falling
out... I think that's also why I don't have an "ACC" position. >>

I just went through this two weeks ago. For about three years the key would
rattle itself out of the lock and drop onto the floor below my feet while
driving down the freeway. I'd just reach down and stick it back in.

Well a couple weeks ago the key broke into two pieces. Half the key was stuck
in the lock, and try as I might, I couldn't get it out.I called the mobile
locksmith and they said it would cost about 60 bucks, UNTIL they asked me if I
had tried to get the piece out, and they made it sound like it was gonna cost
three times that, so....

I got the manual out, got my steering puller out, and discovered that the bolt
holes in the steering wheel are smaller than 1/4inch. They're like a #12. You
probably wont have bolts on hand that will work. Second, you will need to
either make, rent or buy a special tool that pushes down on the locking plate
under the steering wheel.

The local cheepie parts house (I normally go to the NAPA store, but was on
foot) had the lock (not listed-it's a mid seventies GM lock) and they even had
the special tool to buy. It took less that two hours of in the Scout time, to
do it. One warning. If the special tool has two real nice looking anodized
aluminum pieces that attach to the steering column, be forwarned, you will
only use the one that fits your column, and it strips the inner threads
easily. I couln't use the tool to put the plate back on. If I remember, the
tool and lock were under 30 bucks total.

STeve