RE: Oil Leak

Steve,

When I had a suspect leaking rear main, the best I could do was to wrap a
long flat screwdriver with a clean dry towel, slide it up in the space
between the block & flywheel without touching the block, and when I made
contact with the crank flange, pushed forward to get the oil on the cloth.
Reverse to remove, and gage how far up/down the oil is relative to where the
rear main is v. where the oil pan gasket is.  That's the best I was able to
do to determine if it was the rear main & not the oil pan gasket.  Hope it
helps.

Joe Costanzo
'79 Scout II