RE: OIL LEAK

I quit using valve cover gaskets a long time ago.  They always seem to burn
up and leak all over again.  My remedy is to first make sure the mating
surface on the valve cover is flat.  I usually do this by laying the valve
cover right-side-up on the shop floor and using a 1" x .25" piece of steel
as a punch, go around the valve cover giving the mating surface a good smack
to flatten it out.  I then lay thin bead of hi-temp silicon on the valve
cover and wiggle it into place on the head.  Luckily, hi-temp is orange, so
if I'm a little messy, it doesn't stand out too much on the IH red engine.

Tom Stannard
79 Terra
79 Scout II
78 Scout II