notices, etc.

I have a question about all these notices from various parts of the U.S....

Just who exactly is putting forth this legislation?  Are they part of some
kind of environmental agenda to limit the number of older vehicles on the
road (or otherwise,) or is it some kind of  push to "clean" up the
countryside and get rid of ugly-looking rusty hulks in "other" people's
backyards?

Here in Canada, we have a small city in Ontario known as Kanata where they
have been known to pass such legislation purely to keep the community
looking "uniform" and "clean." Many of the bylaws they have discriminate
against anyone who doesn't have an office job with a nice BMW (put your
choice of late model vehicle here) parked in the garage.  They make sure
you have neatly manicured front lawns (vegetable gardens are prohibited
from public eye,) all vehicle parked in Garages (street or driveway parking
prohibited in residential areas,) house paint co-ordinated to the rest of
the street (no unsightly blue or green houses...beige and white
acceptable,) and so on.....

(I don't live there)