Re: CBs revisited - John will speak again..

jmbrodsky@domain.elided wrote:
>      to truckers that badly, and CB is overrated.  FRS seems better on the

FRS?

>      John,  You may know your stuff, and Tom you may know yours, but How
>      does one measure what another knows?  Questions.

Right.  And I don't claim what I know is "right".. prove me wrong!
We'll both be the better!

>      How do you tune the 114" Stainless whip?

Just like any other antenna.. YOU CUT IT.  Trim to fit.  Cut a little
off and see how the SWR changes.

>         YOU CAN GET 1:1, we do it at work.  Of course when you have money
>      is no object kind of stuff, there is a HELL of alot more in the mix
>      than ch1, ch40.

Then there's also more than just a single fixed length antenna.. unless
everything you do is a multiple of a given frequency... simple fact: if
you have a 10meter wave length and an 11meter wavelength and a 10meter
(full wave) antenna, you'll get 1:1 on 10m, but NOT 1:1 on 11m.  Of
course, if your antenna were 110meters long, you'd get 1:1 at 10m and
11m.. but now what if you wanted a 12m wavelength, too?

(FWIW, CB is the "11meter" band around 28Mhz)

>      guide in Canyon De Chelley, I can't say that the CB has been all that
>      beneficial for me.  Others?

I use my radio on road trips where it comes in handy... for Highway
Patrol locations.. or knowing that there's a Diesel spill in downtown
Indianapolis so I should take the bypass around it.. where the traffic
jams are, etc.  Very handy.

And yes, I've been stuck in deep snow where I shouldn't have been.. and
raised help on the CB.

-Tom