Jeep 727/Dana 300

Greetings IHers:

I have been searching for a way to get an auto overdrive for my '79 Scout
II, but had all but given up because I kept running into dead ends.  I may
have even bugged the digest with questions about it some months ago.  This
discussion about jeep trans./TC has got me thinking again.  Did any of
these jeeps with 727's have overdrive?  If so, why couldn't I just find one
at the junk yard and bolt the whole thing (trans, transfer case, O/D unit)
to my IH engine?  Am I missing something?  Does anyone know if the jeeps
had o/d's?  I know my girlfriends '96 cherokee has an o/d, but I don't know
what transmission she has.  No way her's could be a 727 is there?  Surely
they quit making those things years ago.   BTW, mine is/(will be) a daily
driver.

Thanks,
Skip