RE: The truth is out there

Chris and Ranae Procyk wrote:
>Actually, the IH pads last a long time... I really keep away from other
>vehicles and look way, way down the road.  But the car's job is to get me
>places quickly.  It's on brake set #3 at 105K, which is actually better
wear
>than usual.

I was able to get 60k miles out of the brake pads on my Probe GT.  This is
probably due to the fact that it is a light vehicle (GVW of 2800 lbs), and I
downshift and rely on engine braking.   My Aurora is making that squeeling
"pay a little now or a lot later" noise at just 13k miles!  Of course, it
has a GVW of around 4800 lbs.

I assume that there is a non-linear relationship between the weight of a
vehicle, or its rolling mass, and how long your brake pads last.  Does a
heavy scout with 15" wheels and 33" tires have a brake pad any larger than a
light jeep with 15" wheels and 235s?

Ken Farmer
1980 Scout II
1975 Travelall 2WD -> stops on a dime!
1974 Travelall 4WD -> stops like the queen mary
1998 Aurora -> stops on a dime (about 1000 times between brake pad changes)