raspy intake

Hi, all

quick question-
I've been trying to diagnose my Scout's ('73, 345)lack of power and noticed
something.  While running (air cleaner removed) the 'hissing' sound of the
Edelbrock Performer carb sounds almost raspy.  Sounds almost like an
obstruction. The same carb on my friend's Dart sounds much smoother. Anyone
have any thoughts on this?  When I get on it, there is a raspy sound from
the exhaust.  I'm stumped, the ignition is in good shape (pertronix, MSD 6A,
Accel wires and coil) and the carb is brand new. Fuel filter is good, I even
added another one behind the fuel pump. Should I just pull the carb and give
it a good cleaning, or does this sound like something internal (valves?)
Thanks for your help.

Matt Neff
Beaverton, OR