Re: CB radios - antennas

Curt Cleavinger wrote:
> 18 were because it's cheap, and because it has a front-firing
> speaker so I can hear it over the wind noise of a soft top (up or

I'm going to see about wiring the stock in-dash AM speaker to the CB
before too long.. to make it easier to hear.

My biggest problem is - CB, or stereo? ;-) (if the stereo's cranked, I
can't hear the CB)

> Most of the opinions I've heard/read claim that the radio is far
> less critical to performance than the antenna (and how well the
> two are matched to get a low SWR) - does anyone agree/disagree
> with this?

I'd agree.  Unless you spend a LOT of time on the CB in a lot of
conditions, one is about as good as another.  Unless you WANT something
better, of course. ;-)

I figure the sub $50 radios are all the same and all do the job well
enough.  If you want a "nice" radio with lots of doo-dads you most
likely won't use beyond the initial adjustment, do your research and
shell out your $100 or better.

I doubt most of us are interested in "Roger Beeps" or "echo boxes" or
any of the other cute add-ons... those are easier to have installed on
"good/decent" radios... usually NOT the sub $50 units.  (my 29LTD
Classic had uppers, lowers, "tweaked n' peaked" and an echo box.. traded
it for the 35amp 12VDC Astron Power supply and another toy I won't
mention..)

>  I've been using a magnet-mount antenna that I put on the hood.
> wire tends to get in the way, and the magnet rubs the paint off). Where

Me too.  I have the mag mount.. though paint hasn't been a huge
concern.. ;-)  Mine is on the hood... both for soft top season (almost
here) and for clearance into the parking garage at work.. can't do that
with the antenna on the hardtop.

is the best place to mount an antenna on a vehicle with a
> soft top? The best place to get a decent ground plane seems like
> Anybody have a better idea? Should I just forget about ground
> on antenna selection, I was thinking of a Firestick-type of about
> 3 or 4 feet (I don't want it to be too high, or it'll take a
> beating on trees, my garage door, etc.). Opinions?

My personal goal - weld or bolt a bracket to the windshield frame.
Center (side to side) of the Scout, right at the top.  You'll need to
run the antenna wire along the windshield frame until you can get it
inside.. might be a *little* tacky looking..

But put it up there, and you get the most height and the BEST ground
plane available in a Scout II.  Only better way would be a few inches
rearward and mounted to a steel hardtop... but that's hard to get when
you run a ragtop. <g>

Personally, I want to avoid the Firesticks.. I've broken way too many..
even after I put a spring on 'em.  I'd *like* to find a short (4' or 3')
center or bottom loaded steel whip.  All I can find are top loaders..
and I don't want that big thick coil of wire on top... because I *WILL*
slam the antenna into trees and parking garage cielings regularly... the
simple steel whip is fine.. but an antenna coil might not hold up so
well..

If you do go the Firestick.. USE A SPRING.  I'd also probably look for
something like an "elbow" that you could use to FOLD the antenna
down/over.. in case you find the Firestick is clipping the cieling in
your parking garage.. trust me, garages eat firesticks.  (so do auto car
washes)

My Chevy Luv has a mirror mount Firestick on the passenger mirror.. it's
on it's fourth antenna (maybe more).  They do hold up better with a
spring on 'em.

Avoid the bumper mounted antennas on the rear corner of the Scout... the
Scout'll "get in the way" and your signal quality will suffer.. a LOT.
My friend's Early Bronco is setup this way.. his radio reception and
transmission is the worst of our group.  I sometimes wonder if my old
100mwatt handheld could talk farther.. (well, OK, not really)

-Tom