Jeep Wagoneer 727, Joel's tranny slippage

There was some discussion of 1980 Jeep 727 auto trannys.
I forgot who mentioned that they heard the insides were weaker, but:
I just finished going through the 727 in my Wife's 84 Jeep Grand
Wagoneer.  Inside the case, it is EXACTLY the same as an IHC.
The valve body may well have been a little different, as they made
many changes to those, even on IHC.  I think this one mates to
an NP 242 transfer case, but if I wanted to, I'm sure I could
swap the tailshaft and transfer case adaptor onto the back of the
IHC tranny.  However, this transfer case drops the front driveline
on the wrong (drivers) side.  But it does have a 2.62 low as I recall.
I will ask some Jeep folks if the D300 ever came in 1980 Wagoneers.

Joel,
  That slipping sounds a lot like a problem I had on the Jeep tranny.
Shortly before I rebuilt it, I dropped the pan, changed the filter, and
adjusted the bands.  I have the real factory Jeep service manual.
I torqued the band using an inch-lb torque wrench per the specs.
It would slip and chatter starting from a stop, then suddenly 'clunk'
into gear and go.  I did the whole operation again, thinking I screwed
up.  Same result.  By now, Wife is questioning my working on her
Jeep.  In November I decided to rebuild the engine (170Kmi) so I did
the tranny at the same time, figured it must not have ever been rebuilt
either.  Wrong, it looked beautiful inside.  The problem was that the
book had a misprint in the specs for the torque on the rear band.  One
place in the book (the band adjustment procedure) said only torque the
rear to 41 in-lb, then back it off 2 turns.  The CORRECT value, which is
in the same manual under the "specifications" table, is 72 in-lb.  I also
confirmed this value in several other service manuals.  During the rebuild,
that is the value I used and it has been working great ever since.  So,
I'd recommend a rear band adjustment for you Joel.

Allan Weidenheimer
72 1210 Pickup