Re: Swapping ratios front or rear

jmbrodsky@domain.elided wrote:
>         About my friend's gear problems.  If he had the r/p in hand for >      front, AND the axle sitting on the floor for the rear.  Which is
>      easier, the front r/p swap or the entire rear end
>      swap-brakebleed-brake shoes adj, etc.

For *ME*, the rear swap is still easiest.

>         Must one withdraw the entire hub assemblies (Removing king-pins >      4wd) to get the shafts out, to change the front R/P?  The Rear end
>      swap means springs, brakes, brake lines, tires/wheels, and
>      driveshaft/ujoints/fluids.

I had to tear down both front hub assemblies and remove the rotors and
spindle so that I could pull the front axle shafts out a few inches to
get the carrier assembly out to put in my Lockright.

>         What is the procedure for a front r/p swap.  The rear end at

I haven't done it, but I'm hoping to watch my friend Mike setup the 4.88
gears for the racer so I can learn and not bother him next time...

You'll need a dial indicator.  An official "diff housing spreader" would
probably make things MUCH easier.  Also need a set of old bearings to
ease installation.  Gear marking compound.  New shims.

Beyond that, I think it's just a tedious process of guess, install,
measure, remove, adjust, install, measure, remove, adjust, install,
measure... the more you do it the easier it is and the less "install,
measure, remove, adjust" cycles.

It's a lot of detail and repitious work.  More so if you have to keep
pressing on and off the bearings (thus use old worn ones that slip on)
every time you adjust shims n' such.

Looking at all this, you'll probably decide it would be a lot easier if
you removed the front axle from the truck so you could set it up on some
jack stands with the diff cover up to make this process that much
easier...

So.. do you want to buy some tools, remove the front axle, spend a few
*hours* (minimum) fiddling with the diff, then reinstall the axle...

Or just remove the rear axle and swap the new one in.

The disadvantage of the rear swap - you don't know what condition the
bearings n' other items are in on the new axle.. whereas on the front
R&P swap, you get to check the diff bearings, possibly replace, and you
already know what the rotors/wheel bearings, spindles, etc are like.

-Tom