Fleet News

Well, Dennis Millward drove me up to Grass Valley on Sunday to pick up
my '64 Travelall.  It is actually even a better deal than I had
thought!  It made the entire trip home (about 130 miles-three hours on a
variety of twisty-turny roads as well as highway) without a hitch.
Brake lights are out and head lights won't come on, but all else is
well.  Ran it up to about 65 MPH at times with no problem, but tried to
keep it down around 55-60 as much as I could.
We got home and Dennis traced my brake light problem.  Now I have to go
figure out the headlights.  I had thought I would have to park it and
work it into driving shape, but since most of my driving is local, I
think I will start driving it right away and see if I find any problems.

Feeling good about the T'all, I went out to swap out carbs on my '71
Scout 800.  It has been running terribly, but runs.  I took the carb off
of my '68 T'all and threw it on.  The Scout sounded much better and
started much easier, but when I let off of the ignition, it immediately
died.  I tried again, same thing.  I tried again, leaving the ignition
on for a few seconds to give it a good chance to catch, and leaned out
to see if I could see what was happening with the carb, and POOF!  The
entire cab filled with smoke!  I saw a wire "frying" in the engine bay,
turned off the ignition switch, and saw another under the dash!  Propped
all of the doors open, and made sure all sparks were out.  It was where
the PO had wired in the electric fuel pump.  I had left it on until I
had everything running right, in case I needed it.  It did not appear
that any other wires were damaged, so I am feeling hopeful!  I will try
to re-run that wire today and let you know what happens.
Also, since about Thursay, my '73 Scout has taken a terrible turn for
the worst!  It has begun running rougher, and has nothing at
acceleration.  It coughs and sputters, and eventually catches.  I was
thinking either carb or point gap slipping, and it was getting
progressively worse in a very short time.  It started backfiring, and
finally, on the way home last night, got to the point where it would do
this-moving at about 5 MPH-for about twenty seconds before I could get
it to catch and run above this point, where it runs fine.  I checked the
rotor and it is scored on the end, and the points around the edge of the
dist cap were dirty and worn as well.  I am going to go tune it up right
now!  So anyway, I am on my way out to tune-up, re-wire, and try to get
the brake lights/headlights working on the '73, '71, and '64 right now.
I also spoke to the prior owner of the Wagonmaster, and he wants to get
together and possibly buy it back, otherwise, I think it will be going
on the auction block.
I also took some pics of Dennis and I and our rigs.  He has a very cool
'63 3/4 ton (I think) that belonged to his Grandfather.  He has the five
speed in it-eat your hearts out, guys!  Runs great on the highway!
Anyway, I only took them with a Polaroid, so they aren't great, but I
will try to post them if I can get them scanned.

Any suggestions on any of my problems are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Michael