Re: Howard...what don't you know

Women, brain surgery, secrets of the ancient Greek Mystics, the
whereabouts of Jimmy Hoffa,  ...............

I'm just a Scout and truck fan who happened to be in the right place at
the right time.  I spent 30 years in IH/Navistar's  Product Reliability
Group and have owned Scouts since November, 1969, so you could say I was
there when most of the Scout activity happened--one of the first things I
saw during my interview at IH was the first Scout II prototype that had
just been delivered to the Road Test Area from Sweden where it was built.
 You should have heard my escort back-pedal when I recognized what it
must be and said something about it.

 I never had direct responsibility for the Scout model which may have
been good as I could give my $.02 to the guy at the next desk who did
without worrying about the economics or market demand for what I thought
should be done and they would listen because I did represent at least a
segment of the potential customers.  My '78 Scout still has a few "test"
items running on it that have been long forgotten because it was one (of
a few) around the Engineering Center that got used for more than driving
to the grocery store (and it also has the crash pad from that first
prototype that we eventually made a racer out of.)

In addition to this, I tend to collect literature and info on anything
I'm involved in, so I've been saving Scout and IH info over the years and
have some resources to refer back to for a definite answer on some of
these questions.  And it's even easier to look all-knowing if you
remember to keep quiet on topics that you don't know anything about.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

On Sun, 07 Mar 1999 19:55:51 PST "Jim Butterfield"
<jimraelee@domain.elided> writes:
>Howard you are the man. I havent heard much about your past were you a
>original IHC dealer way back when. You seem to know everything about
>older IHC's. You are the knoledge source!!
>
>Jim

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]