U-bolt Skid plates

Rob,
The recessed U-Bolt plates from Scout M.A.D.ness work well; much greater
clearance.  Because the plates are bent to shape, the springs have
to seat into the slightly curved saddle. So you have to re-check the
U-Bolt torque.  They are very strong, really take a beating.
My welding skills aren't up to suspension standards (I do take the
beast on the highway),  they were worth the $200.

Dan, Joe,
Don't re-invent the wheel -
Take a look at Jim Weed's page to see way the Bunder Bunch makes 'em:
http://www.off-road.com/~jweed/u_bolt.htm

"The factory u-bolts and u-bolt spring plates on the Scouts hang down
too low. The Binder Bunch has redesigned these u-bolt plates to give
you the maximum amount of ground clearance possible on a spring under
suspension. We use 1 1/2" angle iron 3/8" thick welded to 2" wide
strap 3/8" thick. You will need to notch the front u-bolt plate so it
will clear the differential."

Bob
77 Scout II