Starter Woes

Hi All,

Went to  start my newly rebuilt 152 on Saturday, made all the wiring
connections (Thanks to those of you who offered input on this), put
power to the solenoid and got nothing but a "clank" sound.

Let me say that the engine will turn by hand, and I'm using a fresh
battery.  The starter works off the engine, but it does not appear to
have enough in it to turn the engine.  It was working before the
rebuild, but I guess the engine is now significantly harder to turn
over.

I took the starter to Pep Boys to have them test it, they wouldn't say
it was bad, but did observe that the shaft had a lot of play in it.  I
suppose the combination of the increased resistance in turning the
engine and worn brushes are at fault.

My question is this, are there any replacement starters to avoid? Reman
or not?  Any particular recommendations for this 66 152?

Thanks,

Chad Sibert
Jamestown, NC