Re: clunk and freeplay in driveline..Scout II

Tony,

Sounds like time to pull the rear diff cover.  not really a big deal just
put a washpan under it to catch the grease.  Clean the gasket surfaces and
then use some silicone gasket former.  Sort of like caulking.  I'm sure
something like that is available locally.  Permatex is a good brand, not
sure what is available to you.  Here you'r looking for an ugly wear
pattern.  There will be some kind of wear pattern.  Mine has a polished
spot in the center (roughly) of each tooth on the ring gear.  The main
thing to look for is filings or bits of metal in the grease.  Dump it into
a clean pan so you can tell.  Then clean out the diff with your fingers
and see if there are any pieces or filings in there.  When you refill, be
sure to use a limited slip additive if you have a limited slip axle.

When you check the U-joints I put a finger over the place where the cross
goes into the yoke and then try to turn it.  I'm looking for relative
movement between the crosspiece and the yoke.  If there's any slop here,
replace the joint.

When you check the slip joint sort of the same.  Put your finger where it
can bridge both the male and female sections of the slip joint.  Again you
try to turn the shaft.  If you feel any relative movement, keep an eye on
it.  Mine had detectable motion but doesn't bind or seem to cause a
problem.

You might be able to turn the driveshaft enough to measure 3/8 inch
movement along the surface of the driveshaft.  I wouldn't panic about
that.  Try it with the T-case engaged and disengaged to see where it is.

The next thing to check is the exhaust pipe banging against something.
Give it a good shake and see if you can make any noise that way.  If it
falls down on you it was time to replace anyway.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Steve

Steven A. Stegmann
     _/_/_/    _/      _/_/_/ "No free man shall ever be debarred the use
   _/    _/   _/_/   _/    _/  of arms.  The strongest reason for the
   _/        _/ _/   _/        people to retain the right to keep and bear
    _/_/    _/  _/    _/_/     arms is, as a last resort, to protect
       _/  _/_/_//       _/    themselves against tyranny in government"
 _/_/_/  _/     _/ _/_/_/         Thomas Jefferson, June 1776