Post-Paragon report 2

so, we get back to the hotel and proceed to fix the u-bolt. We removed
both bolts and tried to push the spring over so the bolt would get into
the spring perch, but; no go. We ended up going inside and getting one
of the guys with a winch to come over and we hooked the winch up to the
spring sideways and BZZZZZ right into location! (I have GOT to get me
one of those!) We had cut one bolt down, but it was such a pain that we
decided to just used the other bolt that hadn't broke just to get it
home. Well, in trying to get the old bolt back into the plate holes we
had to pursuade it with a BFH and we damaged the threads on the end of
the bolt. This cause the nut to cross thread all the way up the bolt.
Joe stuck his High Lift jack handlke on it and forced that sucker on
there.
   Dennis, meanwhile, on the same stretch where Joe knocked the spring
out of position, smacked a rock into the front (toward the engine)
drivers side corner of the fuewl tank. This broke open a rusty spot
right above the hanger strap where we couldn't get to it to plug it with
gas tank epoxy.We couldn't drop that strap either because the truck has
a class 3 hitch which covered the hanger bolts! So he leaked gas all
over HAzleton all night and into the morning.
   So in the morning Dennis decideds to get out early since he had to
drive with the leaking tank. Now Rob was on the fence about staying and
wheeling, or leaving early because Juanita was running really rough,
only on 7 cylinders, and he couldn't figure out why. So, Dennis didn't
know this or he would have waited to drive with Rob. Meanwhile, Joe and
I decided we are going to go boneyard hunting, so we are sitting having
breakfast. Rob pulls up to the Dinner but doesn't get out. Instead sends
Nikki in to ordr and tell us what's up. It seams that Dennis's truck ate
the passenger side rear axle bearing and spit the axle and tire out
across 81 doing about 50+ with a leaking gas tank! Fortunantly it was
raining or we wouldn't have Dennis, Lorie and little George around any
more! It was also fortunant that it happened when it did and not on the
top of the mountain, or monday morning when Lorie was driving it with
the two kids.
   So, Dennis was able to raise one of the OCC guys on the CB and Matt
was able to go out in his Ram Charger and pick up Dennis and familey and
bring them to meet us at the Blue Comet Dinner.
   So, Dennis, Joe, Rob and I go tot the junkyard down the street and
yank two axles out of a 76 Traveler. $10 a piece!
   So, back out to the truck on the side of the road only to find that
the Race is deformed and the new axle with bearing won't seat on it.
   SO, we called AAA and had a NAVISTAR roll back come and load it up
and drive it 113 miles froim Hazleton to my house in NJ and dump it in
my driveway.
   I let Dennis take GOOD home and use it for the week and next saturday
Dennis will be up and I'm going to supervise (I'm having my knee surgery
the day before) him swapping that axle for the one under my parts truck.
   On to part 3

_____Dan Nees_____
cookiedan@domain.elided
Keep Scoutin' and I'll be Travelalling along!
3 Scout II's and still counting!